After seeing a number of pins on Pinterest of cookie sheets that were beautifully transformed to magnet boards, I decided to have a go at it! I’m definitely pleased with the overall outcome, although next time, I’ll definitely be making some changes.
I used the Martha Stewart instructions for making a decorative tray out of a cookie sheet (minus the acrylic on top).
Using a spray adhesive, the fabric stuck very well to the front of the cookie sheet. Next time, I would pay a bit more attention to making sure that the spray adhesive goes on uniformly. There are a couple of spots that were a bit heavy on the adhesive, and a slightly darker color shows through the fabric. I thought it would dry but didn’t! The back of the cookie sheet was much tougher, but I wasn’t terribly concerned since it was A) never going to be seen once I hung it on the wall and B) was going to be covered up with a piece of felt anyway. In some spots, just for precision’s sake, I used my trusty ‘ole glue gun to hold the fabric down. There are probably better options–like fabric glue!–but the glue gun is what I had on hand.
And really, it’s just that easy! The cookie sheet has two holes, so it was easy enough to cut through the fabric just a tiny bit to weave a ribbon through. The bigger task was attaching magnets to all of my make-up! I used the stick on magnets that come in a roll, but I had to use the glue gun (again!) since the adhesive on those magnets are very weak.
Anyway, as I learned when I set the tray right side up…those magnets aren’t very STRONG either! They’re strong enough to hold everything up, but it doesn’t take much for the make-up to all come tumbling down! So buying better magnets is definitely in my future. The important part is, my make-up is now hanging on the wall rather than taking up counter space, and I no longer have to dig in m make-up bag for colors. I can see everything!
If I do this project again, I’m going to try the spray-paint method next…